About Me

My photo
I am a writer, and I like to encourage others in their Christian faith. Welcome to my blogs, please comment. I'd love to hear from you.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Did You Know Eating Healthy Costs More Than Junk Food?

Really this should be a surprise to no one, except perhaps those who don't shop for themselves. And it astounds me this is going on. Now at least there are reports that back this phenomenon.



When I first entered college, instead of gaining 15 pounds, I lost 20 pounds because I went from a sedentary lifestyle to an active one. It was a mile and a half to the nearest Hardees. I had classes a mile away from my dorm. And I wasn't allowed to have a car on campus. You best believe I lost weight. I liked it, but when I went home for the summer, I gained it all back. I got teased mercilessly when I returned to school that fall. And what happened (besides bitterness and a crush no longer being a crush)? I lost it all again. I started exercising to keep it off over the summer.

After graduation I worked at the best company this side of heaven, and I had to walk a half mile to the building. So I still kept up with exercise. After the company relocated, I started eating healthy. Fruits and vegetables, plus a special diet had me dropping pounds quickly. Exercise helped me maintain.

Yeah, yeah, so what did you in AtheTypist? A lowered income. I no longer had access to the gym equipment I had purchased. The best place to work this side of heaven only offered discounts on a gym membership, instead of paying for the whole thing. I was working for corporate America, who firmly believed starting times were between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 a.m. It was much easier to get ramen and pre-made soups than it was to make it from scratch. I come from a family full of sweet-tooths, so there is always snackage (and thank He Who Will Not Be Named that he has such an odd love of dry pecan rolls and pork rinds or maybe it's She Who Will Not Be Named since she does the shopping because my snacking is at an all-time low). One of the bad habits I did pick up from college is having dessert with every meal. Dessert was cakes, cookies, pies, ice cream or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. The moment I get some steadiness to my income, I am going on a peanut butter and jelly fast. I digressed.

But surely AtheTypist, your side dishes included vegetables with your meals. You know what? Ask She Who Will Not Be Named, I am moving on. For quick lunches, bologna or frozen meals did the trick. Stopping at McDonald's or Burger King for breakfast was easier than waking up earlier to make a bowl of oatmeal. Or even better, it was easier to buy the pre-made oatmeal than it was to cook the old-fashioned and much healthier version.

It is just convenient to grab the already made stuff. And the companies know that. Hence the low prices for preservative-laden foods. Where I'm from it costs $1 to buy Hamburger Helper, and less than $3 for some ground round, much less than it is to buy some whole wheat pasta (or make it from scratch), and then tomatoes and/or whatever else you use to make your own sauce, and less not forget the time, but time is not the focus. Price is.

To eat a healthy diet, it can add an extra $380 a year to your grocery bill. Really? Seriously?! I'm sure you can get those prices down if you shopped sales, but that is hard. I've tried. I found out that there is a noodle beside whole grain pasta that is healthy for you, but at my local grocery store they sell it for $4, and online, while much cheaper, I still have to pay for shipping costs. Last week my local Meijer had vegetables for $1, and I high-tailed it over there, because salad, yum! I apologize that you are not own my list to get texts, but my friends with good memories will tell you I have been clamoring for fruits and vegetables in season since 2010. Thank you Lord for those you brought who helped that situation. Again, I digress.

So it costs extra to eat healthy. That just grinds my teeth. But you know what? There are ways around this.

  • Shop sales
Seriously, what else can you do? I got orange, red, and yellow peppers on sale last week. My local Meijer has peaches, nectarines, and plums for under a dollar a pound and it's been that way for a month. Sure, they weren't sweet, but it was a better snack than peanut butter and jelly. 

  • Farmer's markets and pick-your-own farms
You will have to tell me all about that. I hope to walk through a farmer's market before they go away in the fall, but I am not holding my breath. While I believe you may not find a great bargain, you will find even healthier fare because the grocery stores have to pick the fruit and veggies much earlier than it should be picked. 
  • Grow your own
I have a friend who has a garden. She is probably saving money since she is not buying it. And she is getting some exercise and is in touch with nature and can see God's splendor as she watches her tomato plants grow and bloom. Well, she is probably watching from a window while she is playing games on Facebook.
  • Sacrifice
Say Wha?!! Straight up, instead of buying stuff you use and then forget or getting your hair done or taking the car to the car wash or buying magazines or renting dvds, etc., etc., take that money and eat healthy. But, but, but . . . For real. For real, for real, you will feel much better if you are healthy and will be phenomenal if you exercise, too. Dang, you act like I asked you to sacrifice your only son! You can rent free dvds from the library. Most magazine articles are available on-line (or you can get them free like me), and Google can help you do your hair just as good, if not better, than your hair salon. 

I won't talk how this affects families with a lower income. Because that will make you scream bloody murder. I certainly do hope community activists will pick this up and maybe something can be done. Since I have much time on my hands, I will look into this. Well, as always, I need more tips to eating healthy so please share. Links and comments on what you do to eat healthy without sacrificing an arm and a leg for some lettuce are very much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment