About Me

My photo
I am a writer, and I like to encourage others in their Christian faith. Welcome to my blogs, please comment. I'd love to hear from you.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Got Nuthin' But Luv 4 Ya, Baby! Yeah, whatevah.

Last week, my friend gave me a gift card to Target for my birthday. I was thrilled, because I loved Target. In the 1990s, Target was my go-to for everything. My friend and I would go in to buy lotion, and come out with lotion, deodorant, snacks, toilet tissue, and whatever else we found on sale or thought a bargain.

My money situation is unbelievably tight, and I went to Target with the hopes of getting some snacks for my "work" lunches. I got some much needed toiletries, too. But as I walked the aisles filled with food, certain items caught my eye, but they were too expensive. I found some things on sale, and was absolutely shocked that I had spent most of my gift card. I think I got four items.

What happened to Target? Over the years, while I did not make a lot of impulse purchases, Target was still thought of fondly. I cannot say I feel the same now. Just two-three years ago, I thought their Haagen-Daazs ice cream was priced decently, so I figure the change must be recently. Although at the same time, I vowed to stop buying clothes there. I am not huge, but hello, the clothes did not fit properly even when I went up a size! I live where people will drive for miles for the bargain, and if I wasn't conserving gas, and it wasn't a gift card, I would have driven to Walmart.

It saddens me, but I will probably only shop for things on sale (and never clothes!) at Target from now on. It's still in my Top Ten of favorite places to shop, if only for sentimental reasons. But it has dropped way out of the Top Five. And no, Walmart is not number one. Walmart has iffy practices, and as long as no one in my area can't beat their prices, I will have to shop there. But if I was a middle class girl, no, I would probably still shop there, because I need to be an heiress (so not gonna happen) to change my frugal ways.

P.S. Friends, family, gift cards from Walmart or Meijer or dollar stores, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment