About Me

My photo
I am a writer, and I like to encourage others in their Christian faith. Welcome to my blogs, please comment. I'd love to hear from you.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Social Networking Allure

There are many times when I sincerely wonder about my age. And there are days that I don't. Now, I can waste time like everyone else, and just wander across the Internet for hours. But you won't see me land on any of the most popular places.

When I wander for hours, I feel like I'm really young because according to society, I should have better things to do. I should be putting kids to bed except I don't have kids. I should be making my husband a sandwich except I don't have one of those, either. I should read a book. Um, hello? I am reading on the Internet. I know things I shouldn't know. I've seen things that now can't be unseen. Before I only saw and read stuff in English. Not anymore. I can't say the same for people my age, even among people in my circle.

But when it comes to social networking, I'm very old. Do I think it's for the youth of today and tomorrow? Maybe. I just don't want to join the big ones. I came close by joining one, but then my world shifted again, and now, I can not be bothered to keep the profile. And with me being me, I should be all over Facebook or Myspace. I have my reasons. but I just pooh-poohed the idea.

With Facebook and Google feuding, and Myspace becoming a pervert's wet dream, I can't see myself joining as me anytime soon. I can if I want my books to sale. And perhaps this is why I don't join. Social networks are more for the advertisers and businesses that prowl for new customers than for reconnecting or staying in touch. My friends used to taunt me with who they found or spoke with on Facebook, but they've been very quiet for months. Maybe they've spoken with them all, or the newness has worn off. It happens. And without even joining the major ones, I've already been approached by my past. And that got old real quick.

Personally, I like the new. I can not tell you how many times I have been talking about things to friends, and they have given me such a blank or bored look. But when I find communities online with the same love I have, and a stranger writes this really long post, and I understand what they are saying perfectly, and I tell them so. And we began a conversation. It's just a nice feeling. I feel like I'm going to go off on a tangent so let me pull it back. Reconnecting is fun and dandy, but I would rather create new memories with new people. I know social networking can be all that and much more, but it's just not my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment