About Me

My photo
I am a writer, and I like to encourage others in their Christian faith. Welcome to my blogs, please comment. I'd love to hear from you.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

True Frenemy! Part One

Is it just me? It's seems that places of employment are behaving like a frenemy. For some odd reason, you hang around this person, but both of you are cruel and hateful to each other. Not a healthy situation.

I read a news report that the EEOC is looking into discrimination against the unemployed. I have never seen the employment ad that stated "the unemployed need not apply." I don't want to see that ever. But if some company has done that, then why? You are not a part of the solution, but a part of the problem. People used to joke back in the day that the job situation was bleak. And when I say back in the day, I mean the 1980s and 1990s. I have never seen a more bleak situation than what I see now, and it's not funny. And if you think I'm kidding, I've found articles because I really could not believe this was happening:

Discrimination Against the Unemployed?
Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'
New Bill Bans Discrimination Against Unemployed

In addition to businesses laying off people left and right, and the government having to bailout the auto industry and banks, there are companies allegedly discriminating against the unemployed. As I continue to seek a more permanent position, I've understood that most places hire the unemployed first. And now was not the time to job hop, but if this is going on, then what is a worker to do? Company loyalty is probably at a very low point, but instead of raising morale and creating loyal workers, companies are antagonizing its workforce.

I spoke yesterday with an employee who was doing managerial work, but no pay increase. I saw management's side, in that they needed another level of management but could not afford to pay any extra, but I also saw her side because to the naked eye there was no real benefit to doing her job. And she was not the only one. I have held this conversation or something like it with a lot of people. Having been in that position on both sides, I knew what it felt like to have no hope on a dead-end job, and what happens when you reward someone for hard work. There are times when these things just don't make sense. Doesn't happy workers mean higher productivity? Maybe it really is just me.

I feel this is going to be a series, because this is not the only thing going on in this companies vs. workers fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment