About Me

My photo
I am a writer, and I like to encourage others in their Christian faith. Welcome to my blogs, please comment. I'd love to hear from you.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Are Emails and Phone Calls Out-Dated?

I remember when emailing was brand new. I got started in 1997, but it had been around a decent time before then. For the first couple of years, it was pretty quiet. I emailed at work between co-workers and bosses. I remember when learning how to email using MS Outlook, during class, after we set up our accounts, my classmates and I tuned out the teacher and emailed each other. I had also included a co-worker through bcc, and she told me she got over 50 emails in that hour I was in class.

By 1999, old friends had email addresses and current friends were also given work email addresses, and it was on and poppin.' I bombarded people with emails, and I got slammed with forwards. Also in the 1990s, I found out about this place called the Internet, and began to use it for work, too. Funny how most companies won't allow its usage anymore.

About 2001, I basically told everybody I would not forward any forwards, and the amount of email I received dropped by 50%. If you received an email from me, it was personal or work-related. To this day, I still cannot stand forwards. I am getting them now by text; I hate them. I digress. I've read a lot of people feel the same way. According to my local Fox affiliate, it's dead. I figure it is still going strong at companies, but as for personal, no. And I've read conflicting reports, but all reports point to the way people use email has changed. For the younger generation, there is Facebook, Twitter, and text messaging. I find myself still doing both. I text a lot, but with certain friends, I email. And I don't think that is going to change for me.

My hate relationship with the phone goes back to my childhood. One friend was able to get me on the phone talking, but I prefer you send me a text or an email. Otherwise, I did not answer. I screened calls. I don't anymore because no one calls me. Don't pity me. I want it that way. Only my job calls, and that is how I want it. Send me a text. According to the New York Times, people feel the same way. Sometimes you just don't want to be disturbed. I will listen to any messages left. But a lot of people do not leave messages. That says to me, you really did not want anything other than to say hi. Texting makes things easier, especially if you are just meeting up with friends, or want to chat but do not want to have a long conversation. Sometimes you just do not have time for that but you want to feel connected and you don't want the other person to think you are ignoring them. You could be, but they don't need to know that. Quick and to the point is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment