About Me

My photo
I am a writer, and I like to encourage others in their Christian faith. Welcome to my blogs, please comment. I'd love to hear from you.

Monday, May 9, 2011

New Topic To Discuss

Was last week as eventful for you as it was for me? Oh, first things first. I do not like talking about politics, but there are times I feel that I must. I promise to never write more than 800-1,000 words on any one political topic, and will try not to rant, and be open-minded when comments disagree with my posting.

That being said, last week was just eventful. It started Sunday afternoon, and culminated Tuesday afternoon for me. Last Sunday, I read that President Obama zinged the birthers and Tea Party people. He opened his speech with "Good evening, my fellow Americans." So, I quickly clicked on the video, and watched. The joy I felt after his speech was done, was very much needed in my life. I relished in it. The zings came fast and furious.

Obama's best quote: (At Donald Trump)  "So he can focus [on] real issues at hand facing America, like ‘Did we really land on the moon?’ ‘What really happened in Roswell?’ And, ‘Where are Biggie and Tupac?’"

He was just on point and on fire. And if I knew how he was going to end the day, I would have focused more on the news sites versus what I usually do Sunday afternoons and evenings. After he did that, I knew I had to watch Seth Meyers. Seth Meyers did not disappoint. I laughed until I cried. So, already in a good mood, I did what I normally do. Before bed, I turned on the television to watch reruns of Numb3rs and Criminal Minds, and saw the news alert. Needless to say, I was happy that Osama bin Laden had been caught and executed. And evil man had met his end. Before I went to bed, I wondered why people were gathering outside the White House.

Monday, I saw the celebrations and the communities I follow were overjoyed. I was happy for those people. I was happy that bin Laden was brought down during the Obama administration. Despite the justice and the celebration (for those who lost someone on 9/11 or lost someone during attacks ordered by Al Qaeda, you are well within your right to do the happy dance over his death), I was feeling a tad perturbed. It could have been at myself or it could have been at all those celebrating.

Tuesday afternoon, I had made my decision and it will probably be confusing. First and foremost, to all those who think Al Qaeda is done, the fighting is over and the return to life as you know it pre-9/11, it aint over. Pull your head out from the clouds; take off those rose-colored glasses; remove your head from under that rock, do whatever it is you need to do to learn more. This is not over. That old adage of "cut off the head, and the body will fall" or whatever it is, does not apply. We are dealing with a new type of enemy, and pre-9/11 is gone. Let it go. Deal with the now, and prepare yourselves.

Those of you celebrating because you were drunk or you needed a release, no. We looked just like those who celebrated the death of innocents on 9/11. Only those who truly lost on that day or lost at the hands of Al Qaeda should have been out celebrating. The thing is I get that celebrating was in order (even by drunk revelers and college students in need of a release). A man who changed and/or destroyed the lives of countless citizens of the world was executed. An evil was cut down. And I know that no matter if everyone had gathered and prayed and then sang "Kumbaya," it is not going to change how we are viewed by people who hate us. So, I am ambivalent about the reaction, but the mass murderer was brought down during the Obama administration. Kudos to the Navy Seals who did their job.

No comments:

Post a Comment