About Me

My photo
I am a writer, and I like to encourage others in their Christian faith. Welcome to my blogs, please comment. I'd love to hear from you.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

My Cooking Disasters

(©Sicha Pongjivanich, FreeDigitalPhotos)


I like Pinterest. I've written on it before, but one reason I like the website is for the recipes. I also mentioned becoming a foodie, but that's not going to happen. Why?



My baking/cooking skills are a bit atrocious right now. I burned a pound cake over Christmas, and then a recipe I got from here for breakfast cupcakes has gone terribly awry. I did it like the recipe said, but I felt it was lacking something for me: a decent shredded cheese. I use my Veggie Slices shredded soy cheese and no. Those just don't melt in enough time.

(©Mine. Rights Reserved.)
(©Mine. Rights Reserved.)

I tried it again with Cheese Whiz and Veggie slices, and I've come to realize that it's the wonton wrappers. I was going to try the lasagna/wonton wrapper but I now I don't think so.

I tried a recipe from Cooking With My Kid using ready-made biscuits. The muffins were tasty, but the cooking and cleanup was complicated. If we had not laid down a slab of aluminum foil at the bottom of the oven, my time cleaning would have been much longer. I had to open windows to get the smell of burning eggs out of the house. I probably chose the wrong type of biscuits. I have no time to do this again, and also no desire.

(©Mine. Rights Reserved)
(©Mine. Rights Reserved)

Then I made some sugar cookie bars. It called for five cups of flour. I almost broke my mother's mixer. It wasn't smoking, but it was extremely hot, and the paddles kept coming out because there was just so much goo. By the time I was done, my shoulders hurt.

The cookie bars were like small pieces of cake. I have since searched for other cookie bar recipes and none use that much flour. The actual bars are okay. But it needed no more than three cups max. I don't know why the lady said five cups. Oh, and while I was measuring, I lost count so I either did five and a half cups or four and half. The flour bag said I had enough for six cups, and I did have left over, so. . .

I also made sliders, but I overpowered it with a pesto cream cheese and pepper jack cheese slices. It's just okay. I like the idea of sliders, but I doubt I will make them with the sauce used by me and the original blogger.

Then I made some pepperoni pouches. Just used ready-made biscuits, some cheese shred and pepperoni. Those were okay but would have worked better had I used pizza crust.

I followed that up with an ice cream dessert and french toast bake. While both tasted fine, there was so much work and several miscalculations.

I'm not giving up. I will do the pound cake again. I also saw a few more recipes that I do want to try, but I'm focused now on grilling and using quinoa-based pasta.


--
You cannot control what other people do or think, but you can control how you respond to them.