About Me

My photo
I am a writer, and I like to encourage others in their Christian faith. Welcome to my blogs, please comment. I'd love to hear from you.

Friday, April 19, 2013

A Hot Chocolate Substitute: Hello Carob!

Every few months I look for another coffee substitute. While plenty of people have hyped up green tea as a coffee substitute, it's more an alternative. Green tea, white tea, and black tea all have caffeine. There hasn't been enough studies for me to try cacao powder. Half say it has caffeine; the other half says it doesn't or the amount is so minuscule, it's practically nonexistent.

I digress. In my search for coffee substitutes, I read that carob powder would work. I also read carob powder is better as a hot chocolate substitute, well cocoa powder substitute. Chocolate has caffeine so that was off my list.

©Chatfield's

I quickly went to a health food store and purchased a can. On the can was a recipe for a carob latte. It basically stated add two teaspoons to a cup of hot milk.

I microwaved the milk. Then I added two heaping teaspoons of carob powder. Many people say that the carob bean is naturally sweet. They say it's not bitter like chocolate. They were wrong. I added sugar.

Once I did that, the drink was enjoyable. Well, until I had drunk two-thirds of the drink. Then it became bitter and chalky and grainy.

I thought maybe it wasn't mixed well so I added a few more ounces of milk and microwaved it again. This brought me to a half-cup. After drinking a third, the chalky and grainy taste was back. I gave up.

The instructions did not mention heaping teaspoons so that is where I failed. But they did not mention that it would be better to use a pot not a microwave. You should also use a whisk and not a spoon.

I need something a tad easier. For me, milk is expensive. We buy the lactose-free kind. While hot chocolate made with milk is great, the steps to get that are for a special occasion. The same with a carob latte.

I will try it again with less carob powder. I've seen several recipes that use water and milk. I might try those, too. Carob powder does work as a hot chocolate substitute. I believe it can also work as a coffee substitute. I had more energy, but it wasn't like chicory or coffee, and isn't that what we're after?

Do you have any great carob powder recipes to share with me?