About Me

My photo
I am a writer, and I like to encourage others in their Christian faith. Welcome to my blogs, please comment. I'd love to hear from you.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

In Honor Of Black History Month

I had planned to post a lot on Black History Month, but work has kept me from doing that. And typically something got my knickers twisted in a bunch. I could shoot off at the mouth like this person, but I much prefer to do it this way.



From the little black girl in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, to the pop star in Korea, what you see on the news and what is passed as entertainment is not the sum total of black American women.


Black American women come in all shapes and sizes. We can look like we rolled out of bed (Yep, I'm keepin' it real, ya know how we do) and turn around and look like queens from Africa. Our looks vary from trendy to church to elegant.

Black History Month Piece



From commoners to queens. We have been maids, actresses, union members, pop singers, doctors, lawyers, cashiers, business owners, CEOs, politicians, government workers, and soldiers. Really my list could go on, but I believe you get the drift.

We live our lives daily with care for our families, and our communities, sometimes to the detriment of our own well-being. Our lives doesn't vary that much from anyone else's. Yes, really.

Instead of believing stereotypes or thinking the only way to live is by debasing yourself for monetary gain (and really, is that all you want?), try observing the regular ones and interacting with them.

We've all seen people who are walking stereotypes, but a number of us have met people who have defied those sweeping generalizations. And that number is growing. More people have chosen to learn the truth and open their eyes. So not expanding your mind, little girl; and running your mouth about what you don't know, pop singer, holds you back, not us.

We keep striving. We keep loving. We simply keep being. And no matter how much you may wish our existence goes away, that won't happen. We've come too far to turn back now.








Peace.