About Me

My photo
I am a writer, and I like to encourage others in their Christian faith. Welcome to my blogs, please comment. I'd love to hear from you.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Pinterest: Internet's Newest Sensation

 ©Pinterest.com

I decided to join Pinterest. It's such a fun site, and who doesn't love looking at pretty things?! Well, according to Mashable, 82% of Pinterest's users are women, but I think that will change. I have a couple of men who I follow.

I tend to follow people who post funny things, recipes, and natural hair styles. Oh, and let's not forget quotes. Pinterest was my place du jour for finding quotes for my other blog.

Pinterest works with the visual. You create boards and pin images that you find on websites to these boards with a little note, and then your followers or people in your category, see your pins, and either click the like button or re-pin to one of their boards or they can choose to follow your board. Pinterest is a social media site, but it's very different from Facebook and Twitter. Though it's been around since 2009, its popularity continues to grow.

In January, Pinterest had over 11 million unique users. Of course, people around the Internet are taking notice. The amount of sharing is tremendous and there have been many articles written about the site. Some like it. Others don't.

Blogher talked about how Pinterest brought new traffic to your blog or website, but I haven't seen that, even though I have 13 followers. I commented on Logallot's post about the site, and she brought up a good point: It showcases your personality. Yeah, I know. That could work against you, but that is why Pinterest is so appealing. It organizes what you've found across the web, and now you have a place so you can find those things in one place. Remodeling a room? Create a board on Pinterest for that. Planning a party? Pinterest got you covered.

The detractors worry about copyright infraction or that if you are found in violation, Pinterest does not protect you. Just because you find the image on a website does not mean you should use the image. Even though clicking the pin will lead back to the original website (and even that is iffy), people re-pin without clicking through to the website. Media Bistro wonders if Pinterest's terms of use are overreaching, and according to LLSocial, 99% of Pinterest users are violating are violating the site's terms of service (sadly, that includes me until I clean up my boards--Yays, another task to get done!).

Writer and blogger Gwendolyn Gage brought up that if the user is found in violation of anyone's copyright, Pinterest cannot be held liable. And perhaps the most valid point of all--Pinterest is a great time waster.

I debated before joining Pinterest because I knew I would spend a lot of time on it. I haven't because I'm working a lot of hours. But if I wasn't, I would spend a lot of time there. For me, Pinterest is better than Facebook. I don't mind looking at the pretty, but hearing about what an acquaintance or former co-worker is having for dinner doesn't move me. But when it comes to pinning for myself or from other websites, I need to follow certain tips.

*Find public domain or Creative Commons licensed images

*Create my own images and allow others to use them or monitor the images closely

*If I do repin, give credit

Is it time-consuming to find the original website? Yes (seconds-ten minutes)! Is it time-consuming to type out the original web address or mention the creator? Yes (seconds to a couple of minutes)! Is it time-consuming to ask permission? Yes! But it keeps you in the clear. Plus for every person that won't allow you to use their images, there are dozens who want you to. With Pinterest growing in popularity, the company is taking steps to cover themselves, and each user should do the same. Go back through your pins, and give credit. If you find yourself in trouble, Pinterest wrote this page to help you.

Is Pinterest for you? Only by checking it out will you know for sure! Here's a few interesting facts to help you decide.

©mdgadvertising.com Copy-pasta'd from Mashable**
 
**Took me three minutes.

You can follow me on Pinterest: AtheWriter.